Bagshot is in the North West corner of both the county of
Surrey and the diocese of Guildford. It is situated on the A30 (London
to Southampton and the South West of England) where this is crossed by
the Guildford to Reading road. The M3 motorway forms Bagshot's southern
boundary and the village is immediately adjacent to junction 3.
The neighbouring villages are: Windlesham, Sunningdale and
Chobham to the east, Lightwater and Bisley to the south, and Frimley to
the south west. Local towns are Camberley some 5 miles (8 km) to the
south-west, Bracknell about 5 miles (8km) north-east, Windsor 10 miles
(16 km) north, Woking 8 miles (13 km) south east and the Cathedral town
of Guildford 12 miles (20 km) south. London Heathrow airport is about
15 miles (24 km) drive.
Bagshot is on the outer edge of the 'green belt' (an area
surrounding London in which development is restricted in order to
contain the urban spread), the natural vegetation of the area is heath
land (from which the administrative borough of Surrey Heath derives its
name). The village is separated from its neighbours by open land, most
of it heath. Much of this surrounding land is owned by the Ministry of
Defence, and some is Royal Estate.
The village is compact and the housing extends over less than
2 miles (3 km).
Bagshot is of Saxon origin, originally in a parish with
Windlesham. Coaching inns were the major reason for Bagshot's original
prosperity (the village is on the main road from London to the West
Country), together with a Royal hunting lodge favoured by the Stuart
kings (now known as Bagshot
Park and which is again a Royal residence with its occupation
by Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex).
Growth of the village occurred during the first half of the
19th century, largely due to the coaching trade and agriculture,
especially market gardening. The opening of the main line railway from
London to Southampton and beyond in 1838 destroyed the coaching trade
with a resultant depression, but the opening of the local railway line
20 years later promoted renewed growth, particularly with the nursery
gardens being better able to supply London's Covent Garden market.
Bagshot separated from Windlesham to become its own
ecclesiastical parish in 1874 and the Church was built 10 years later,
largely with the patronage of the Duke of Connaught.
Significant growth has occurred in the size of the village
since the 1950's, and especially since the late 60's. The general area
having been earmarked in the national and county strategic plans for
growth. Most of the housing has been built as diverse estates, though
none is excessively large and the essential characteristics of a large
village have not been destroyed.
There is an adequate range of shops centred on the High
Street. Perhaps still harking back to Bagshot's coaching origins, there
are a surprising number of public houses, restaurants and 'take away'
cooked food vendors, a lot of their trade coming from outside the
Recreation facilities in Bagshot are afforded by two
multi-use sports fields and a cricket field. Each have a pavilion
/ social club and one used to have a youth centre run by the county.
There is a tennis club and several local golf clubs. An indoor centre
with comprehensive facilities including swimming is available in
Camberley, other facilities abound in the area. The members of the
cricket club are trying to date the origins of cricket in
Bagshot, information about the club or old photographs
especially in the 19th century.[416.304] [Jun 16] If you
can help answer that, or have any other information worth including on
this web site then I would like to hear from you. You can send a
message with the message pad below.
There are play areas with equipment suitable for small
children (though under supervision) at the very north end of Freemantle
Road and to the right of the amenity buildings on the edge of
Connaught Park field at the end
of Whitmoor Rd.
Bagshot boasts its own Concert
Band, there are a couple of Church halls which are used for a
multiplicity of purposes, but no cinema or theatre. There are
and Guides, and Curley
Park Rangers are our youth football club.
Roads in the area are good, though the through routes can
become congested during the rush hour. The proximity of the M3, 'A'
roads and the railway (Bagshot has its own station) make for good
connections to London and elsewhere.
The population of Bagshot is a little over 5000. Age ranges
are widely spread, though due to the housing developments there are
probably more in the 25 - 50 age group than the national average.
Bagshot is a very pleasant village to live in, and this itself
engenders an 'affinity' with the village.
There is no single large employer in the area. There are a
range of small
businesses in the village, though most residents are employed
outside of Bagshot, typically within a radius of 15 miles (25 km), a
few commute to London. Unemployment is probably well below the national
Crime rates in the whole area are low.
There are infant and junior schools in Bagshot. The infant school was
established in 1870 and served all the children of the village (at that
time a child's formal education did not last for many years). The local
junior school is Connaught
School, like so many things locally it is named after the
Duke, though it post dates him by quite a while. St Anne's Church has a
very good relationship with the schools and they visit the church a few
times a year, for example for their Harvest Festival service.
The local secondary school (Collingwood)
is a 'Technology College' situated just outside Bagshot's boundaries.
Including the Sixth Form College there are over 2000 students.
There are a number of pre-school groups of various types, and
the nearest of these visit the church for their Nativity play.
Data provided only for personal background
information. While every effort has been made to provide correct
information no assurance as to its accuracy is given or implied. Check
any facts you wish to rely upon.